Do not confuse “management” as something that applies only to those in a supervisory or executive role. In the modern world, we are all “managers.” Even stay-at-home Moms or Dads have management challenges and depend on the cooperation of family members to achieve objectives. Professionals within a company that have no direct line still must influence clients and coworkers to accomplish their responsibilities. Management Candy represents the knowledge you need to succeed in your leadership and management role, but knowledge is never enough. To be on the “A” Team, you have to have the right stuff. You have to play like a pro—and they show up and play their best even when hurt!
- Keep Your Foot on the Gas: Don’t let up on the gas (effort) just because you are almost to the top of the hill (challenge).
- Persevere: Never throw in the towel.
- Standing 8: When knocked down, take the time to refocus.
- Play Offense: Act, don’t react.
- Presentation Counts: A cake is one thing; a cake with icing is altogether another.
- Finish, Don’t Quit: Achievers bring things to a conclusion.
- Listen to be Heard: Great conversationalists ask and let others talk.
- Dress for Success: Clothes may not make the man, but they make an impression.
- It Is All About Giving: Relationships are built by helping others.
- Two-Word Phrases to Use: “Thank you.” “You’re welcome.” “I’m sorry.”
- Put People in the Bank: Save them; they pay a great return.